Monday, September 21, 2009

Buddha; Public Speaking and Business Eye



Once I read this interesting piece of Buddha’s sermon which he gave to his disciples (known as ‘bhikkhu’ or ‘bhante’) –

When I am addressing a group of business men, I talk like them and when I am addressing a group of beggars, I talk like them. I use a language which my audience can understand.

I read it in year 2006, when I used to do a bit of Public Speaking. These lines took me by surprise because I never knew that Buddha spoke on Public Speaking also. This Is true that one should know her/his audience before going and talking to them because then one can shape up their talk in a language appealing to their audience.

We can see that, what he said applies not only to public speaking but to business also.

One knows all the evolution business world has exhibited- from being a Product-centric phenomenon to a Customer-centric one.

Though as a subject, business took a lot many years to evolve in its outlook than its counterpart, public speaking, which started from the evolved stage itself.

But, unlike the evolution which takes place in species, its evolution has not been homogenous. There are still businesses out there, which are having a product-centric approach.

And what about marketing? Do we market having a customer-centric approach or are we still trying to communicate only the features of the product?

A marketing communication starts with finding an Accepted Consumer belief (ACB) e.g. if I have cracked heels, I will not get respect in the society (Krack Cream used this ACB very effectively in their TVCs).

I then communicate what benefit I am providing and why should anyone believe me (Reason to believe - RTB)

Communication which start with so much understanding and end with a beautiful execution should rarely fail to pass the message to the audience.









ThAnKs 4 VIsiTinG

K.R.O


No comments: